Feb 4, 2016 - NATIONAL “STOP DISENROLLMENT” VISUAL ADVOCACY MOVEMENT WILL LAUNCH ON MON. FEB. 8, AT 2PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 3, 2016
CONTACT: Indigenous Peoples Pictured Here, or firstname.lastname@example.org
NATIONAL “STOP DISENROLLMENT” VISUAL ADVOCACY MOVEMENT WILL LAUNCH ON MON. FEB. 8, AT 2PM PST
American Indigenous Artists, Actors, Musicians, Elected Leaders, Educators, Advocates, Professionals To Proclaim #stopdisenrollment
Seattle, WA – On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 2 PM PST, a collective of Indigenous People spanning the U.S., will commence a national advocacy campaign: #stopdisenrollment. The crowd-sourced, online campaign is best understood by visiting www.stopdisenrollment.com.
There and through social media channels, Indigenous Peoples who believe that disenrollment is contrary to tribal values and traditions, and thus should be stopped, will engage in a powerful, uncensored mode of visual self-expression. All Indigenous Peoples are encouraged to participate.
#stopdisenrollment is a leaderless movement, which intends to first attract representatives of all 567 federally-recognized tribes in the United States, and ultimately attract as many participants as there are disenrolled Indians.
Currently, over 80 federally recognized tribes–or 15% of all tribes–in 17 states, have disenrolled their kin. It is estimated that as many as 10,000 Indigenous Peoples have been disenrolled in the U.S.
Inaugural #stopdisenrollment participants include:
· Winona LaDuke, Ojibwe, Environmental Activist, Minnesota
· Litefoot, Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Rap Artist, Actor, Author, Entrepreneur
· Louie Gong, Nooksack, Indian Artist-Activist, Seattle
· Bethany Yellowtail, Northern Cheyenne/Crow, Fashion Designer, Los Angeles
· Dyami Thomas, Leech Lake Anishinaabe/Klamath, Actor, Model
· Robert Williams, Lumbee, Author, Legal Scholar, Tucson
· Gregg Deal, Pyramid Lake Paiute, Indian Artist-Activist, Denver, Colorado
· Jeffrey Verrege, Port Gamble S’Klallam, Marvel Comics Artist, Bremerton, Washington
· Greg Sarris, Chairman, Federated Indians of Graton Rancheria, California
· Chase Iron Eyes, Standing Rock Sioux, Last Real Indians Founder, Lawyer-Activist, South Dakota
· Janeen Comenote, Quinault/Oglala Sioux, National Urban Indian Family Coalition, Washington
Lakota, Last Real Indians Founder, Lawyer-Activist, South Dakota
Ojibwe, Environmental Activist, Minnesota
Nooksack, Indian Artist-Activist, Seattle